Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The Miracle of Life

“Just a few more pushes and you’ll be parents” I felt the sting of tears as the immensity of the moment hit me, I looked up into Kevin’s face, my rock of support during the 15.5 hour long labor and repeated the words with wonder, “we’re going to be parents!”  I will never forget the tears in his eyes as he smiled back and squeezed my hand. 

“Ok, daddy are you ready to receive your daughter?” asked the doctor.  Kevin’s face changed to all business as he gloved up and with one last immense effort from me our daughter was born into her daddy’s arms and placed up on my tummy under a warm receiving blanket. 

Nothing I can think of will ever compare to this moment.



Or this one.


Or this one.

Though the birth didn’t go as I had planned (after 10.5 hours of active labor I asked for an epidural) it was still one of the single greatest experiences of my life.  I will say that the next baby we have will most likely not be born in a hospital environment as it’s not suitable for medicine free birth.  I was managing labor extraordinarily well until I was forced to follow hospital protocols and procedures which meant no food, no mobility and constant paperwork and distractions.  Keeping myself in a deep state of relaxation proved impossible. I kept being forgotten about since the nurses were short staffed that evening and were dealing with several emergencies that night. They would say things like, we need you to hold still for 20 min. while we get this reading and then they wouldn't return to check on me for 3 more hours.  I knew similar situations would continue occurring and on no sleep (my water broke at 12 am) and no food (hospitals only allow ice chips) I didn’t feel in the right state of mind to calmly handle them unmedicated. 

After overcoming my initial grief at not following through with my plans I look back on the birth of my first with nothing but fondness.  Though I was medicated for the last 5 hours, the birth environment was still exactly what I had dreamed, unhurried with only the midwife, one nurse and Kevin present. Following her birth we were allowed to soak in every beautiful moment with our precious little baby.  It was nothing short of one of the most spiritual experiences of my life.  I felt an instant bond with the baby and a new reckless abandon kind of love for my husband.  We’re a family now!


Maureen Hawkins sums my emotions exactly when she says,

“Before you were conceived, I wanted you.
Before you were born, I loved you.
Before you were here an hour, I would die for you.
This is the miracle of love.”

We're blissfully sleep deprived and loving every minute of our new role as parents.  Babies allow us to view the world with a whole new kind of wonder.  The miracle of life, what an honor to be a part of it!  

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations Paula! I'm sorry your plans didn't work out... sometimes God has plans for us other than our own. So happy everything turned out ok. She is beautiful. Enjoy.

    Dont those epidurals feel weird though!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing, Paula! You are one inspiring momma. Much love sent to you, Kevin, and your beautiful new baby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in every way happy for you guys!

    I am also confused, I was told if i did unmedicated birth Hospital or not, you can have food and walk and move as you please...we took are birthing classes at st. marks but ended having Halle at the new Murray IMC, at st marks through our classes they walked us through rooms were they offferd showers if you were unmedicated...so I am in complete shock they told you this and didnt let you birth your own way, I remember seeing woman walking around the hospital trying to help dialate for birth...where on earth did you deliver?
    I am sorry though...
    I am sure it was an experience like no other and really no one you asked could have ever prepared you for your First one!
    CONGRATS!
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so proud of you Paula! 15.5 hours is such a long labor and the fact that you did 10 hours unmedicated in an environment that wasn't quite condusive for labor relaxation...well I don't think I could have done it! So glad you got the peaceful birth you wanted. She is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's like John Lennon says, "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making plans" All I really wanted was a healthy happy baby and that's what I got :) I was disappointed with myself for about 15 min. after I made the choice to get the epidural but after that I was completely in the moment. Best day EVER!

    Melissa- I delivered at St. Mark's. They had a jetted tub and they do allow you to walk around but they kept forgetting about me leaving me hooked up to equipment an IV's that I couldn't remove for hours at a time so I couldn't get up and take advantage of those things. Apparently not all hospitals have the rule of no food but St. Mark's won't because they want you to have an empty stomach in case of an emergency c-section. I'm sure it's not like what I experienced most of the time. It was a super busy/disorganized night and even though I was going through some pretty intense labor I was staying pretty relaxed and quiet so I wasn't priority number one:)

    Krisitn- they DO feel strange. It felt like my feet fell asleep. Super nice to be able to sneak in a quick nap before the pushing stage that wouldn't have happened without it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now dear Paula. now You know what Your Mom & Dad and I as Your former Home teacher were teaching You IS True "family's are forever" though I know You always did know God bless You & Kevin and Your Daughter May Your joy's be many and Your sorrow's be few Bro Snow

    ReplyDelete