Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Preparation eases Trepidation

I didn't want to become one of "those" people.  You know, the ones who never have anything to say except when it comes to their kids.  It's funny how the twists and turns of life can change your opinions and ambitions.  I have found myself becoming one of "those" people and I'm not even a mom yet.  I eat, drink, sleep and dream  this little baby.

So, if baby bragging is not your cup of tea, discontinue reading this post because it's going to be baby, baby baby!

We have spent the last several months educating ourselves on what we need to do to be good parents.  We have read several books, surfed the internet, talked to doctors, taken a birthing class, and rearranged finances.  I've researched what to eat, how much to exercise and popped gigantic horse sized prenatal vitamin everyday to give my baby the best of everything while she is growing and preparing for her grand entrance.  Everything we have done has been carefully thought out timed and planned.  So I wouldn't consider the decision to become parents an impulse decision or an accident.  But, I still felt unprepared.

If I could name one thing that was bothering me as we drew nearer to a full term baby it was that though we had prepared in many ways we still hadn't purchased any of the real essentials to take care of our baby when she came home.  So, to ease my edgy nerves Kevin suggested we go to the store last weekend and make the final plunge.  We filled our cart with; binky's, bottles, breast-pump, bath tub, bed set, bottle cleaners, baby hygiene kit, diaper bag, changing pads, tiny hangers and more.

Once we got home I was completely excited to get everything situated.  Since my tummy is getting big enough that it is inconvenient to maneuver around the baby's crib I made Kevin help.

smoothing out the creases on baby's sheets

I have to say the finished product makes me very happy.  I took this video immediately after we finished assembling the bedding and mobile.  I have since added some teddy bears and other accessories but it looks basically the same.




Our next biggest thing was the jogging stroller.  I have been a runner for nearly my entire life and would like to get back into it once the baby is born and so a jogging stroller was a necessity.  Thanks to the amazing generosity of my Grandma we were able to get what I consider to be the Mercedes Benz of jogging strollers; the Indie Bumbleride.  I took it out for a practice spin and it was incredible!  It turns corners on a dime, powers over speed bumps and rough terrain and looks terrific doing it.  I can't wait for walks/jogs with baby girl and the dog.  I'm training her young to become my little running buddy.

                                 
Kevin and Tekoa putting the stroller together


It came with the adapter bar so that our car seat can fit into it.  Safe easy ride for baby!


This is the view looking down from the handle bar.  Hi baby!


A blurry picture of Tekoa telling me how excited he is for a baby sister!


Once she gets big enough she can ride without the car seat




ignore messy house....the dog decided to pull out all his toys while he watched us put stroller together


Once of our best accomplishment this weekend though was getting Kevin to clean out his side of the closet so that baby could move her things in.   We donated many things to chartiy and threw out an astonishing amount of things that he had hung onto for these past several years.  



Baby gets this entire rack now!


And the entire bottom rack of the closet.  (Many thanks to the baby shower Grandparents and Great Grandparents that provided these clothes) Because of my obsessive need to organize things, the clothes are sorted by age and type.  Kevin made me take a rest before I got down to organizing them by color.

I have heard that babies actually need surprisingly little.  But, I'm a planner and I just can't say how amazing it feels to have all the things to keep her safe, warm, clean and loved through her infancy.  Now I feel like I can look forward to the day of her birth with the peace that comes from knowing that we have done all that we can to prepare for parenthood.   And maybe I'll think about getting some of that rest everyone keeps telling me to catch up on too!

No comments:

Post a Comment