Monday, March 3, 2014

Out of the Mouths of Babes

Lots of times motherhood is hard. My most recent frustration has been solving the mystery of the black hole in my house. You know, the place where everything disappears, especially; cords to every little-used electronic device, left shoes and hair ties. The only person to recover items from the mysterious hart family Bermuda Triangle is, kylea. So yes it's tough. But even though it's  frustrating that 3 year olds can't seem to remember that crayons don't go up your nose and tiger growling at your baby sister isn't nice they seem to intuitively "get" things that we grown-ups just don't. 

I took the girls to the grocery store to get a few items we were low on today. The girls giggled and kyky copied Neila's screech sounds and then they giggled some more. As I was making my way to the register I saw another mom pushing her two children in the cart that looks like a car. The child in the driver's seat was crying loudly. I thought to myself, "I'm glad my girls aren't doing that today." And gave the mom a smile hoping to convey solidarity. 

We wheeled up to the register and ky helped me unload the cart in her typical animated fashion. She sniffed things and made dramatic yucky faces or exaggerated yummy faces complete with licking her lips for each item respectively before she tossed them onto the conveyor belt. 

Before we finished, the mother with the crying child pulled her cart up behind mine. Her child was still crying. I noticed the year stained face belonged to a little girl, probably 3 years old. I noticed her quivering lip as she tried to pull herself together, I noticed how cute the bow in her hair was, I also noticed she had Down syndrome.

Kylea didn't notice any of that. The second the cart pulled up behind her kyky smiled brightly and said, "hello friend!!" She then excitedly showed her the dragon fruit that we were purchasing and a few other of her favorite items. The girl smiled she didn't respond with words but her tears dried and in their place was a giant smile. 

And a little child shall lead them. Lead them to a place where our differences don't make us too different to be instant friends. 


No comments:

Post a Comment